Friday, 30 January 2015

In Report on UPS Crash, Safety Board Urges Steps to Deter Pilot Fatigue On Overnight Cargo Flights

In Report on UPS Crash, Safety Board Urges Steps to Deter Pilot Fatigue On Overnight Cargo Flights

































The National Transportation Safety Board ( Twitter: @NTSB) found Tuesday that the probable cause of the crash of a UPS Airbus A300 cargo plane on approach to the Birmingham, Ala. airport last summer was the flight crew’s errors during the approach, including their failure to monitor the aircraft’s altitude.
The crash at 4:47 a.m. on Aug. 14, 2013, destroyed the plane as it hit the ground less than a mile short of the runway, killing both the pilot Cerea Bell and the co-pilot Shanda Fanning.
The board found that Fanning was suffering from “acute sleep loss” which contributed to her errors, including failing to make required minimum altitude callouts during the approach.
The NTSB recommended that the Federal Aviation Administration ensure that airlines with overnight operations remind flight crews of the threat of fatigue.
The board also recommended that UPS work with the Independent Pilots Association to improve the crew fatigue reporting system.
In a statement, UPS (Twitter: @UPS) said “it is difficult to understand how the NTSB reached its conclusion regarding fatigue related to night flying when the pilot had not flown in 10 days, and the first officer was off eight of the previous 10 days.”
UPS said it schedules pilots to fly about 30 hours a month, compared with 55 hours a months that passenger pilots fly.
NTSB member Robert Sumwalt, a pilot with 32 years’ experience, criticized UPS for not activating up-to-date software on the plane that could have alerted the crew to how perilously close it was to the ground.
Sumwalt said that the company had “guys running around with clipboards and stopwatches to make sure that if an airplane is a minute late, somebody is going to be held accountable for it. But the sad thing here is this was a layer of defense — the Smart Call Outs [which alert pilots to low altitude levels] and the updated TAWS [terrain awareness and warning system] — were two defenses that could have possibly prevented this accident.”
And Sumwalt added, “If you’re interested in efficiency, I can guarantee you that on Aug. 14 of last year, those packages on that airplane did not get delivered by 10:30 in the morning.”


Replay
LIVE
00:00 / 00:00

Mobile Phone Exports From India May Drop to Zero in 2015



Mobile Phone Exports From India May Drop to Zero in 2015

NDTV 

While government is pushing to make India hub for electronics manufacturing with 'Make in India' programme, a report has said that exports of mobile phones are estimated to crash to zero in 2015.

"Mobile market grows by 32 percent or to $12 billion (roughly Rs. 76,154 crores) in 2014 but imports take over to occupy three quarters of market. Domestic productions fell by 29 percent. Exports may crash to zero in 2015," according to the report, submitted by industry body Indian Cellular Association with the government.
Exports of mobile phone have been declining after touching a peak of Rs. 12,000 crores in 2012.
The export crashed by 70 percent from Rs. 11,850 crores in 2013 to Rs. 2,450 crores in 2014 and further estimated to be nil next year in absence of corrective measures, the report said.
The report mentioned shut down of Nokia's mobile phone plant in Tamil Nadu due to tax dispute with government during the year as a factor in decline of exports.
India's electronic mobile market is dominated by imports and mobile phone exports provided some cushion in burgeoning trade deficit. In 2013-14, government faced trade deficit of over Rs. 49,041 crores in telecom segment.
"Export of electronics is almost negligible. The only sector which has reasonable manufacturing and export was mobile sector. In fact, during 2008-2012 production was nearly matching India's demand by volume," ICA said.
At the same time import of mobile handsets in the country is continuously rising. In 2015, when export from India is estimated to be zero, import of mobile phones may be worth Rs. 75,750 crores.
The mobile phone import has increased from Rs. 34,600 crores in 2012 to Rs. 58,550 crores in 2014.
When contacted, ICA National President Pankaj Mohindroo said, "It is extremely unfortunate that the torch bearer of India's IT and telecom exports has been snuffed out. We are, however, confident that with the resolve of our Prime Minister to establish India as a global manufacturing hub, this situation will be reversed."
ICA suggested series of measures including 10-year tax holidays and tweaking of some other taxes to promote mobile manufacturing to achieve 25 percent share in global mobile manufacturing by 2019.


"This can translate into additional jobs creation of more than 1.3 million people to yield an annual industry turnover of Rs. 1.5- 3 lakh crores. The imports can dwindle to just 10 percent of the market as compared to over 60 percent now," ICA said.